Shooting at Quakers Hill police station

Shooting at Quakers Hill police station Photo Andrew Brown, Fairfax Media.

Photo Andrew Brown, Fairfax Media.

Photo Andrew Brown, Fairfax Media.

Ambulances outside the Quakers Hill police station following reports of a shooting. Photo: Nine News

Police have closed Lalor Road following the shooting outside Quakers Hill police station. Photo: Twitter: @AndrewBrownFCN

Photo Andrew Brown, Fairfax Media.

TweetFacebookAssistant Commissioner Denis Clifford TheCareFlighthelicopter landed near the shooting scene just after 11am, while aPolAirpolice helicopter was also circling the area.

A relative of a person who works at the police station told 2GB that a man allegedly walked into the station with a knife and started threatening officers, before police shot him.

Police have blocked off Lalor Road, and motorists are being turned around near the police station.

Two forensic trucks pulled up outside the station at midday andspoke to officers guarding the entrance.The front of the station is covered in blue tarpaulin.

A critical incident investigation has been launched following the death and abrief is being prepared on behalf of the Coroner.

Critical incident investigation begins at Quakers Hill

— NSW Police (@nswpolice) January 19, 2016Childcare centre lockdownsTwo childcare centres operated by Blacktown Council were placed in lockdown following the shooting.

The Kerry Jones Childcare Centre and the Quakers Hill Pre School are both located across Lalor Road from Quakers Hill Police station.

“Both centres immediately implemented standard and well-rehearsed lockdown procedures,”said the acting Mayor of Blacktown City, Councillor Jacqueline Donaldson.

“All children and staff are safe – the incident occurred across the street from both child care facilities and is entirely unrelated to either childcare centre.

“I commend the staff at both centres for their professionalism and preparedness, particularly as it was their first day back in operation at the beginning of their year.”

Police media conferenceAssistant Commissioner Denis Clifford, said that the man shot by police at Quakers Hill police station is still unidentified. Police are trying to identify him and find relatives to speak to. For that reason no description or identifying traits were given to the public.

The Region Commander of theNorth West Metropolitan Region spoke to the media a short time ago.He said at 10.40am the man“we believe to be in his 40s came to the Quakers Hill Police Station.”

“There was a confrontation in the foyer with a sergeant, a sergeant of24 years experience. There was a shot fired by the sergeant that stuck the man. He was rendered assistance butpassed away a short time later.”

Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said they didn’t know who the dead man was and ruled out terrorism influence, but did say there was a knife involved.

“At this stage its very early in the investigation.” he said.“I just wanted to give an update and perhaps allay some fears. Atthis stage there’s no indication it was terrorist related.”

Assistant Commissioner Denis Clifford said he wasn’t sure whether the man had asked to be shot and said medical assistance was rendered by police and ambulance but was unable to prevent the man dying.

He said there were“a number of people–police andpublic I understand – in the immediate area” of the shooting.

Comments are closed.